Ed Sullivan; 1982 OUSA (FOCA) Convention Annual Collection
The biggest problem I had with this model wasn’t the creator’s fault. These early Collections suffer from occasional bad collating, and this model was the victim. The diagram appears in the “Flowers” section, between the “Leaf and Stem” and the “Tulip”, which really should have followed each other since they were shown together (as already noted). Far worse, the second page of diagrams for the Tropical Flower were far in the back of the book, adjacent to Sullivan’s other model, “Jelly Belly Holder” in the category “Other.” The only hint is in the attached letter, which mentions “two new folds” with a few remarks. The diagrams are hand-drawn but clear, except for the first one which shows the pre-creases — it took me a little thought to figure out the landmarks for some of the creases — and the last one, showing the finished model in a rather poor sketch. Once the diagrams are located, the model presents no particular difficulties in folding. The creator advises the use of the “new shaded papers. I’m sure Mrs. Oppenheimer has them.” Assuming he meant harmony papers, I concur. I used a paper with a contrasting color in the center, and I liked the results quite a bit. The paper shown below is 6″ harmony, shown both unfolded and with the finished sample.
Leaf and Stem by Alice Gray; Tulip by Joan R. Appel; 1982 OUSA (FOCA) Convention Annual Collection
These two models definitely belong together, and are shown together in the Leaf and Stem diagram’s drawing of the finished model, but are inexplicably separated in the Collection by another model’s diagram. They are both very simple, with the Leaf and Stem being folded from a kite base, and the Tulip from a preliminary base. Diagrams are very clear, with plenty of explanatory text for beginners, and shading distinguishes white and colored sides. I folded the Leaf and Stem from 3″ kami, and the only problem I had was that the finished model wants to spread open more than I’d like. I made the Tulip from some 2″ harmony paper which was an ideal choice for this graceful model. This particular paper had most of the pattern at the center with plain corners, which I thought worked particularly well to simulate a real tulip’s shading. This was a welcome model to fold on an especially cold Valentine’s Day.
The models are grouped by subject categories in the 1982 Collection, and now that the Animal section (by far the largest) is complete, I’m moving on to the four models in Flowers. This simple blossom is folded from a 4 : 1 rectangle, and I wanted to use a bit more interesting paper than the plain kami and foils I used for the animals, so I dug through my stash and found some 4-1/4″ wide “Seaspray Paper Ribbon” from the long-extinct Loose Ends company. This paper glistens and is crinkly in the lengthwise direction, with some irregular pleats. It wasn’t an ideal choice, being a little too large and a bit too springy to work well with this model, but I enjoyed trying it out. The diagrams are hand-drawn with text comments as needed, and while a little sketchy, they had all the information needed. The folder may stop at step 5 for the Display Corner shown at left above, and in my example the springiness of the paper kept the model from sitting flat. There’s no real lock, so I’d recommend displaying it with a trinket with some weight (I used a souvenir from Mars, PA for the photo). The Blossom is then created by squashing each of the three sides, as shown in the right photo. The creator recommends adding a stem through the center, and I agree that would improve the Blossom. I’d also suggest a smaller paper; 8 x 2″ would be about right. This model might work well with patterned papers, such as gift wrap or chiyogami.